*cherish*love*joy*

*cherish*love*joy*

Monday, May 16, 2011

How do you communicate?

Technology has changed the way we all communicate with each other these days... but is it for the best? I ask this for a lot of reasons lately, and I feel I'm seeing a whole new side of things since I'm taking this break from social networking in general. I have gotten passed the compulsive need to check my Facebook account the second I wake up, between loads of laundry, during play time, and as I'm falling asleep each night. It's interesting though when you're not so involved in everyone else's lives how you notice all of the references throughout your day like on television and in every day conversation. Besides the fact that there is so much of an obsession with it all, there isn't much harm in it all really (unless people are putting too much personal information out or just trying to be catty).

 What does concern me though, is the fact that communication between friends, relatives, work places, etc. seems somewhat compromised. At first glance, things like Facebook, Twitter, and e-mail are a wonderful way to keep in contact with each other especially when you may  not get the chance to see the people who are important to you on a regular basis. It's a great way to share the highlights of your life with those around you. However, do you notice that more people are "speaking" to each other using text, e-mail, Facebook and so on when it would be so much more effective just to sit down with someone and physically TALK either in person or over the phone if you must? Have we forgotten what it's like to sit down with a friend and have a conversation? There's so much more than words in communication that end up being misinterpreted or completely lost when we decide to communicate through technology. Have you ever gotten upset over a simple text message only to find that it wasn't intended the way you took it? Of course you have, we've all been there... and it's happening more and more.

 Let's take applying for a job as another example. More and more companies and businesses are resorting to online applications for all of their hiring needs for reasons of convenience obviously. However I think there's something to be said about a person who takes the time to walk into a potential workplace and start a conversation with a manager about the position they're applying for rather than just being another online applicant. I realize that this is not practical in every situation, but do you see how we are all sort of getting lost in technology lately? How can you really communicate with someone unless you make the effort to tell them how you feel and where you are coming from in person? Are emoticons taking over for our facial expressions? Are we relying too much on our fingers to do the talking through our keyboard? 

My hope is that I can have more real interactions in every day life from here on out. I love how easy it is to show my friends and family how big the kids are getting and what their milestones are, through things like e-mail and blogging but lets not forget the power of a real, in-person conversation when it comes to the important conversations in life. If one of my friends was upset with me, or I did or said something that made them upset in any way I sure hope they would call me up or sit me down and TALK to me. I know it's sometimes the difficult road to take.... to communicate in person, but it's so much more worth it and I know I personally appreciate it more than I can express. I haven't always been able to do this myself but as I grow and learn, I realize the importance of communication in every relationship I have. Plus, I always love a coffee date or a nice walk outside : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment